Godzilla the Horizontal Mortiser

 

Buy the plans which include details for the steel shafts and bushings for the sliding tables

(No Drawer Slides).

Included with your purchase:

  1. The SketchUp file
  2. Drawings of parts with measurements (pdf file)
  3. Commercial source I used for the steel shafts and bushings
  4. More detailed photos.
 

$12.50

Go here to buy

 
 
(If you have any questions during your build or if anything is unclear please contact me.)
 
Get Google SketchUp free here.
 
Small images to the left enlarge when clicked.
 
 
  • Finished horizontal mortiser showing the router mount lock.
  • Check out a video of it in action.
  • CAD image from the front and left.
  • CAD image from the rear.
Amount of vertical movement per turn of crank is exaggerated for the animation.
 
  • To the left is a photo of the router mount with shaft and threaded rod installed. The router mount was coved on the table saw so that the diameter of the cove perfectly matched the diameter of the router. The hole for the shaft and the threaded rod had to be bored on the drill press from both sides.
  • For the bushings in the router mount, I found bronze nipples at Home Depot that perfectly matched the steel shaft. I later found a great source for bushings and steel shaft and I would use sintered bronze bushings if I were to make this router mount again. For the bushings in the X,Y tables, I used the correct sintered bronze bushings.
  • The router is held onto the mount with hose clamps that go through the mount.
  • Support structure for the router mount. Made from pine 2X4. The top section was secured with screws and two half lap joints. It's plenty strong.
  • The feet were secured with mortise and tenon joints.
  • This is a picture of the bottom table (X-axis) showing the steel shafts. The steel shafts go through two wooden blocks that each contain one sintered bronze bushing (two per shaft).
  • This shows one of the sintered bushings in the Y-axis table in its mounting block.
  • The steel shafts for the Y-axis table were too long and extend beyond the rear mounting block.
  • The clamp down table had to be shimmed in order to get it parallel with the X,Y tables. It was relatively easy to get the amount of shim needed (trial and error).
  • CAD drawing of the X,Y tables. The top shafts (Y-axis) actually extend through the back shaft supports because the top table came out smaller than the bottom (X-axis).